The information in this article is correct at the date of publication.
A residence permit is a permit that is issued to foreigners who want to stay in Turkiye.
Residence permits are issued by the Directorate General of Migration Management.
Foreigners who wish to stay in Turkiye for longer than the duration of a visa or ninety days, should obtain a residence permit.
Effective from February 10 2022, changes have been made to the application process for first-time applicants for a touristic residence permit as follows:
First application for touristic residence permit
First application touristic residence permits will be only be issued for six months, regardless of nationality.
Documentation required for the first application is proof of where the applicant lives in the form of a rental agreement, notarised by the landlord (Identity information is required to be attached to the copy of the agreement), or Tapu (title deed) where the property is owned by the applicant(s).
Married couples who own property must provide their marriage certificate with an apostille certificate.
NB: There is no change to the process for current residence permit holders. Where residence permits expired less than 90 days before, there is no change to the application process. Where the residence permit expired more than 90 days before, the new process applies.
Renewal of touristic residence permit
Residence permits can be renewed for a period of six months, one year or two years providing applicants provide the following:
- Details of Turkish bank account*
*Not applicable to pensioners who must provide an apostilled pension document as proof of income. (If the pension is less than one-and-a-half times the minimum wage, a bank account must be opened.)
- Evidence of income which must be more than one-and-a-half times minimum wage per month in Turkiye.
The minimum wage is currently 4,250 TL per month. Income must be 6,375 TL per month seen in your account. (38,250 TL for six months, 76,500 TL for one year, 153,000 TL for two years). If the applicant also has a spouse and children, they will be asked to deposit 4300 TL per person monthly to the bank.
- Rental contract from home country as proof of rental income that is more than one-and-a-half times minimum wage per month in Turkiye. The rental contract must be notarised and apostilled.
This money does not have to be in Turkish lira, it can also be deposited in a bank in foreign currency.
After the money is deposited, an account statement will be taken from the bank and given to the immigration administration.
It will be checked whether this amount of money is in your account for six months or not.
- Married couples who own a property must provide their marriage certificate with an apostille certificate. Failure to provide an apostle certificate will mean that only one applicant will be issued with a two year, property holders residence permit. The second applicant will be issued with a six month touristic residence permit as long as all other required documents are provided.
– Rental agreement notarised by the landlord. Identity information is required to be attached to a copy of the agreement.
An apostilled birth certificate for applicants under 18 years of age.
NB: All apostille certificates must be issued in the UK or documents legalized using an online service. Please visit https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised for more information.
For more information about residence permits, please visit www.goc.gov.tr