Some 842 coronavirus patients have recovered across Turkey in the last 24 hours, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca announced Tuesday. The figure marks a single-day record for recoveries.

Koca said 4,062 people tested positive for COVID-19 in the past day as the total caseload reached 65,111.

Meanwhile, the death toll hit 1,403, with a record daily increase of 107. More than 443,000 people have been tested for the coronavirus so far, including 33,070 in the past 24 hours.

Turkey is the seventh worst-hit country in the world in terms of the number of active COVID-19 cases, with 58,909 patients as of Tuesday.

READ: Turkey’s COVID-19 recoveries surge as cases top 65,000

Coronavirus Turkey – daily table

Source: https://covid19.saglik.gov.tr/

“We Will Beat COVID-19 Together” – Fethiye Governor, Muzaffer Şahiner

COVID-19 daily round up – Tuesday 14 April 2020
Fethiye Governor, Muzzafer Şahiner

Fethiye Governor, Muzaffer Şahiner talked on SED Media about the work being done by help groups and the precautions being taken for Covid-19 in Fethiye on Tuesday.

The VEFA Social Support Group is working under the management of the Governor’s office to provide help for over 65’s and groups under curfew.

Şahiner said, “Vefa social support groups are working day and night helping people over 65 years old and people who are in need. We are solving the problems in our area together during these difficult times. The Governor’s office, Vefa, civil society groups together with Jandarma are taking extra measures to deliver supplies to those in need and avoid public suffering. Everyone should stay where they are as precautions continue to increase.”

The Governor then went on to evaluate the results of the work carried out and the measures taken, saying, “What we have done in the town of Fethiye since the start of the battle against Coronavirus in our country, is applied all the measures that have been taken for the safety of our citizens. In relation to this Jandarma, Police Department and our establishments are continuing the fight. As you know, with help from Vefa social support group we are providing supplies to the people over 65 years of age. Last weekend there was a curfew also covering Muğla province. Our citizens have shown great understanding towards the curfew. There have been no serious issues as a result of the curfew and, with the help of the Police Department and Jandarma, we kept four petrol stations, bakeries and pharmacies open. We thank our citizens for their understanding. We also thank all our establishments and Vefa social support group for all their efforts during this difficult time.

Of course, we know the difficulties our citizens have by shutting their shops. In relation to this, Social Help Foundation, Police Department, Jandarma and PTT personnel have delivered one thousand lira to 1,633 people. Again we are expecting the help, which is also known as second phase, to arrive this week for 2,500 citizens. Our colleagues have made preparations region by region for this. We will get it to them with these teams.

Together, we are trying to help to our citizens through Vefa social support group channel. Last week there were more than 300 new requests and we are getting to these people for the first time. Our colleagues made deliveries yesterday and continue to do so. Lokman Hekim Esnaf Hospital have also sent out 150 supply packages and Müsiad Fethiye, 50 food packages, as have many other civil organisations. We are getting these to our citizens through the social support group. We thank all the civil society organisations for their help. We are expecting help from other civil society organisations.”

Governor Şahiner also stated that they had to fine those who didn’t obey the curfew applied last weekend and said “We had to fine 140 citizens. This is something we don’t desire. We have evaluated this with our colleagues. This afternoon Police department, Chamber of Commerce and chamber of trade will get together. Next week again 4 petrol stations, 1 gas bottle supplier will be on duty. We have about 30 bakeries and we are very prepared this week with their phone number distribution. Also we know our citizens will be more prepared by knowing the curfew will take place. We are also expecting understanding from our citizens for the curfew.”

118 travel permissions

The Governor said that we are going through extraordinary days and stated “We are experiencing trouble neither we, nor even the 70-80 year old people, have seen before, therefore we need to fight this together. We have to help each other and to have understanding towards one another. As you know over 65’s and under 20’s cannot go out, therefore we are sorting their problems out when they contact us. We also give permission in case of medical emergency at the hospitals or funeral situations. We allow our citizens in our town to travel for doctor appointments, doctor report and funerals. When something like this happens we try to help them. For example, we have given 118 travel permissions to people. These were people who were working here and wanted to go back to their hometowns. But we strictly advise this, everyone should stay where they are.”

Necessary checks are being made

Governor Şahiner stated that they are continuing their support to the citizens under quarantine at the student accommodations and said “As you know, 9 sailor friends have arrived. We are greeting them as our guests because they came from a ship. We are delivering their food. Apart from these, there are others under quarantine. Our town health management are doing necessary checks. We have people like these in our town. They are isolated in their homes. They are being followed by our colleagues. If there is any application for homeless people our Social Help Department has its doors open. Currently we are accommodating approximately 10 citizens at our hotel like this. We also want to thank the press for their understanding. We thank to people of Fethiye. We will beat this illness with a little more understanding towards each other.”

Thank you to Ümit Kasım for the translation.

Source: Şahiner; ”COVID-19’u Hep Birlikte Yeneceğiz”

Police check whether the drivers comply with the coronavirus measures

COVID-19 daily round up – Wednesday 15 April 2020

Some of us may be waiting for masks we’ve ordered online or struggled to find them at the local chemists but, in Fethiye, traffic police have been handing them out for free to drivers – along with gloves and a little advice about social distancing and the importance of staying at home…

Source: https://gercekfethiye.com/fethiye-de-trafik-polisleri-maske-ve-eldiven-dagitti/26713/

New coronavirus quarantines in 58 provinces

COVID-19 daily round up – Wednesday 15 April 2020

As part of the fight against the coronavirus outbreak, Turkey is imposing quarantines on 227 residential areas in 58 provinces, said the Interior Ministry on Wednesday.

The areas are home to some 250,00 people, said a ministry statement, but did not supply further details.

The ministry also said it is lifting quarantine measures on 41 residential areas in 14 provinces of the country.

Source: https://www.aa.com.tr/en/latest-on-coronavirus-outbreak/turkey-new-coronavirus-quarantines-in-58-provinces/1806057

Turkish Red Crescent to provide aid to 10 million in Ramadan

COVID-19 daily round up – Wednesday 15 April 2020
The head of the Turkish Red Crescent, Kerem Kınık, shows the content of aid boxes in a live video stream, Ankara, April 15, 2020. (DHA Photo)

The Turkish Red Crescent (Türk Kızılay) aims to reach 10 million people both in Turkey and across the globe during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan as the coronavirus continues to tighten its grip worldwide.

Speaking about the aid to be distributed during Ramadan, the head of the Turkish Red Crescent, Kerem Kınık, told reporters via teleconference that the majority of the aid would be distributed domestically due to the pandemic.

“This year, we allocated a large part of our operations for the needy in Turkey,” Kınık said.

READ: https://www.dailysabah.com/turkey/turkish-red-crescent-to-provide-aid-to-10-million-in-ramadan/news

According to a report in Hürriyet Daily News, Turkey’s top religious body called for social distancing during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan to stem the spread of coronavirus. 

In a statement, the Directorate of Religious Affairs said: “Iftar [fast-breaking] gatherings should be avoided with relatives, neighbors, and friends.” 

The religious body said fasting during the month of Ramadan is a religious duty that cannot be deferred due to the pandemic. 

Citing experts, the statement added, fasting carried no risks for healthy people.

Source: https://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/top-religious-body-calls-for-social-distancing-during-ramadan-153863

Important Flight Announcement

COVID-19 daily round up – Wednesday 15 April 2020

Source: UKinTurkey

Global statistics – number of global coronavirus cases surpasses 2 million

The number of global coronavirus cases surpassed 2 million on Wednesday.

There are now 2,026,051 confirmed cases of COVID-19 globally, of which 492,892 have recovered. The number of fatalities stands at 129,077.

Source:  Worldometer

Follow Fethiye Times on social media for regular updates.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Instagram

Follow us on Twitter

Today’s featured image: “Sunrise over Fethiye Boatyard” by Lyn Ward