The number of people diagnosed with COVID-19 in Turkey has increased to 10,827, while the number of fatalities has reached 168, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca announced on Monday.
Koca has explained that the government’s decision to withhold geographical information about the outbreak is to discourage Turks from fleeing hot spots and spreading the infection.
Turkey has quarantined 41 towns, villages and neighborhoods in 18 provinces, he said. Residents are required to shelter in place and, in some areas, entries and exits are barred after residents tested positive.
Erdogan said after a Cabinet meeting he conducted by video conference that citizens not obligated to work “can keep themselves at home under voluntary quarantine,” which would make a return to life as usual “that much quicker.”
Data from Johns Hopkins University shows Turkey has one of the world’s highest infection rates, with cases doubling every two days*
Questions and Answers on Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Updated on 31March 2020
Coronavirus: Foreign Office links up with airlines to fly stranded Britons home
Tens of thousands of Britons stranded abroad by the coronavirus pandemic will be flown home under a new arrangement between the government and airlines.
BA, Virgin and Easyjet are among airlines working with the government to fly Britons back to the UK.
The government has also pledged £75m to charter special flights to bring home UK nationals from countries where commercial flights are unavailable.
Instructions for UK travellers to return home can be found on the government’s foreign travel advice website.
Turkey launches national fundraising campaign against COVID-19
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Monday announced a nationwide fundraising campaign to help citizens financially affected by the coronavirus pandemic.
Announcing the “We are self-sufficient, Turkey” campaign, Erdoğan said he was donating seven months of his salary as a way to kick start the fundraiser and added that several ministers have already joined as well.
“Our goal is to help those financially struggling, especially daily wage workers, due to the precautions taken against the outbreak,” Erdoğan said.
Turkish parliament extends ban on visitors due to coronavirus
Turkish parliament extended an entry ban on foreign nationals into the country to help stem the spread of the novel coronavirus, the speaker’s office announced on March 31.
“The ban on visitors has been extended to cover the period between April 1 and April 30,” the office said in a statement.
Last week, the parliament delayed centennial anniversary events due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Political parties represented in parliament have also canceled group meetings.
Source: Hürriyet Daily News
There are now 803,772 confirmed cases of COVID-19 globally, of which 172,435 have recovered. The number of fatalities stands at 39,070.
Follow Fethiye Times on social media for regular updates.
Today’s featured image is of a calm and peaceful Fethiye harbour by Lyn Ward (24 March 2020)