The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Turkey has increased by 293, making a grand total of 1,529. Meanwhile, the number of deaths has risen to 37, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca announced late on Monday.
Speaking at a press conference earlier in the evening, Koca said “The Ministry of Health aims to recruit 32,000 additional workers, to enable us to combat the Coronavirus pandemic more effectively.
The Ministry will also make additional payments to its doctors, nurses and health workers over the next 3 months, to support them during this difficult time.
Furthermore, China has sent 50,000 coronavirus testing kits to Istanbul, with a further 300,000 due to be delivered next week. All testing will be undertaken for our citizens free of charge.
China has developed a new drug to combat the effects of the coronavirus, reducing recovery times from 11 days to 4. Turkey will be treating those patients most severely affected by the virus with this new drug. If successful, Turkey plans to utilise this treatment for all those affected.
Dismissing rumors of a 24-hour curfew circulating on social media, Koca said it shouldn’t fall on the government to impose such a draconian measure, once again urging citizens to stay at home. “Everyone can declare their own curfew without needing the government to do it for them,” he said.
Corona Caring Fethiye
Corona Caring Fethiye is a group designed to streamline helping the “high risk” citizens in the Fethiye area that have been impacted by the Corona-virus.
Those who are “high risk” are now under a curfew and unable go out to buy groceries or pick up medicines.
The group is run by David Ismail Jaime who is now the unofficial liaison with the Zabita. This is an unprecedented time and there are some teething problems with the system however, David is working with the Municipality and the Zabita to resolve those issues.
If you need assistance or you can help to provide assistance, please join and post a message on the Facebook group, message David directly or call him.
Facebook: Corona Caring Fethiye
Call or message David on: +90 545 621 9514
Turkey limits shopping, transportation over coronavirus
With the number of cases of Covid-19 and the death toll in Turkey continuing to increase, the government are taking increasingly stricter measures to curb the spread of the virus, the most recent being new measures on shopping and transportation.
The Interior Ministry issued a notice saying all public transport vehicles will only be allowed to carry half their capacity while all grocery stores, small and large, will only provide service between 09:00 and 21:00 local time.
Stores: Only a certain number of people will be allowed to shop at one time, depending on the size of the store. The specified number of people to be allowed into the store will be posted outside the entrance. Stores will not admit any more customers until a customer leaves. Shops will also remind customers waiting to maintain a distance of at least one meter away from each other.
Public Transport: All urban and intercity public transportation vehicles will only carry 50 percent of the carrying capacity stated in their public transport licence, allowing passengers to sit one empty seat apart from each other.
Law enforcement teams will make sure these measures are adhered to.
Muğla Metropolitan Municipality stop cash payments for fares
As part of the measures being taken to curb the spread of coronavirus, from Thursday, March 26, passengers on Muğla Metropolitan Municipality public transport will no longer be able to pay their fare in cash.
Payments can only be made via Muğla Card, contactless credit and debit cards and phone application (android-NFC).
Source: Muğla Metropolitan Municipality
Lokman Hekim Esnaf Hospital accepted as a pandemic hospital
Lokman Hekim Esnaf Hospital has been accepted as a pandemic (epidemic) hospital from 20.03.2020 in line with the specific intensive care criteria specified in the announcement of the Ministry of Health, General Directorate of Health Services, number 14500235-403.99.
Source: Lokman Hekim Esnaf Hospital
Global Death Toll
The global death toll has surpassed 17,400, with 400,412 cases confirmed, according to Worldometer
Follow Fethiye Times on social media for regular updates.
Today’s featured image: “Disinfecting team in Fethiye ” by Lyn Ward