Recent figures released show Turkey is a very popular destination for fun, culture, archaeological treasures, beaches and its affordable for Brits too.
Turkey is ranked 6th in terms of the number of tourists by the World Tourism Organisation (WTO) and in 2013 Turkey welcomed 37.8 million foreign visitors – a year on year increase of 5.9% (source: WTO).
Turkey is also one of the most popular and affordable holiday destinations for the UK with the country ranking 6th for Brits travelling to short-haul destinations (source: MINTEL).
In 2013, Turkey attracted 2.51 million British visitors, an increase of 2.15% from 2.42 million Brits in 2012, during which time they spent a total of £654 million while holidaying there.
Istanbul also welcomed 10.47 million tourists in 2013, a record figure and an increase of 11.7% compared to 2012 (source: Ministry of Culture & Tourism).
The strength of the pound against the lira means that Turkey is better value than ever for cost-conscious Brits, with the prices of holidaying in Turkey reported to be 29% lower than two years ago (source: Post Office Holiday Money Report).
Some of the many top reasons for visiting Turkey are its:
- Archaeological treasures, including 13 UNESCO sites (2 of which are new)
- Two Wonders of the Ancient World
- 382 Blue Flag beaches (more than 1 in 10 of all Blue Flag beaches and marinas)
- 21 Blue Flag marinas world-class spa and thermal offerings
- 20 International standard golfing facilities
- 20 Ski centres
- Larger number of endemic plant species than the whole of Europe
- Wonderful beaches and resorts such as Oludeniz near Fethiye