The wet weather over the last few days is a timely reminder to check property for leaks before the really heavy stuff arrives in November.
Our Fethiye Times storm calendar notes that November has had some newsworthy gales and heavy rain during the the past few years. October may have already brought some showers but they are very light in comparison to what lies ahead.
So now, while it is calm and relatively dry, is the time to get those winter property checks and repairs carried out before its too late.
New homes are most at risk from leaks as the winter rains are the first time many will have been tested for water tightness.
The construction of many roofs isn't as good as UK building standards so as a result they may leak.
For all properties the strong sun and heat in the summer can force flashing to expand and contract creating cracks that let in water when it rains.
But it’s not just roofs that need to be checked.
- Check your roof tiles - replace missing, loose or broken tiles and fix leaks before they ruin walls, floors or furniture.
- Perched on the roof they often forgotten about but solar water systems should be checked to ensure they are secure so they can withstand strong winds.
- Check outside storm drains in and around your property and clear any debris.
- Check guttering for leaks and blockages.
- Check windows and doors are secure and weatherproof. Re-apply silicone sealant if it has gone hard or cracked.
- Paint is the only protection for most properties against water ingress so patch peeling paint on walls. It will also prevent further damage to the paint.
- Re-grout patios and coping stones on balconies that have cracked in the summer heat to stop water ingress.
During and after storms check for damage and water ingress and make repairs where necessary.
If you leave your property vacant in the winter it's a good idea to get it checked periodically to make sure leaks or storms haven't caused any damage.
Water ingress over the winter can ruin furniture, floors and cause structural damage in some cases.
- 2009-03-06 - British Property Owner Spearheads Campaign for the Reform of the Turkish Property Laws
- 2008-10-19 - Property Sellers Beware!
- 2008-07-07 - Turkish Property Sales to Foreigners Resumed
- 2008-06-17 - New Turkish Property Law to Limit Foreign Ownership to Just 10%
- 2008-05-24 - Dual Pricing - So Now We Know
- 2008-05-10 - Top Website Plans a Smooth Move
- 2008-04-21 - Sales of Property to Foreigners Suspended Again
- 2008-03-12 - Property Prices Down 40%
- 2007-09-26 - Turkish Mortgages Just Around the Corner
- 2007-06-29 - Buying Property: Use a Lawyer You it Makes Sense
- 2007-04-15 - The Local Property Market - April 2007
- 2007-01-17 - Tax Inspectors Uncover 13 Million YTL Property Frauds in Fethiye and Marmaris
- 2006-10-03 - Amnesty for Tax Dodgers
- 2006-09-07 - Property feature - quick roundup of expat resorts summer 2006
- 2005-12-05 - Property Sales to Foreigners Bill Gets to Parliament
- 2006-08-08 - Turkey Considering Spanish Model of Property Sales to Foreigners
- 2005-07-10 - Buying Process
- 2006-07-01 - Tax Man Homes in on Foreign Property Purchases
- 2005-12-24 - Land and Property Sales to Foreigners Finally Agreed
- 2005-12-01 - Home Loans Mark New Era in Turkish Economy
- 2005-11-28 - Power Spike Sets Readers Fridge on Fire
- 2005-10-27 - Sales of Land and Property to Foreigners to be Resumed Shortly
- 2006-08-29 - Resale Property – When buying off plan isn’t always the best plan
- 2005-08-03 - Sales of Land and Property to Foreigners Suspended
- 2005-04-01 - Buying Land - A Cautionary Tale
- 2006-11-22 - Stay Warm and Stay Safe
- 2005-03-02 - Fitting Out Your Property
- 2006-07-29 - Tax Rates for Importing Goods
- 2005-03-02 - Importing Your Stuff
- 2005-05-02 - Excess Baggage - An Alternative?
- 2005-06-01 - Readers Experiences of Importing Stuff
- 2005-05-02 - Readers Importing Experiences
- 2008-07-14 - Planning rules, council tax and enforcement powers - Q&A
- 2008-01-31 - TEDAŞ – Now ‘cares’ about its customers
- 2007-11-29 - Important Changes To The Turkish Flat Ownership Law
- 2005-06-01 - Maintaining your property
- 2008-03-18 - Know Your Tax Position
- 2005-07-01 - Rental
- 2005-07-01 - The House Renovation that Almost Sent Me to PRISON!
- 2005-07-01 - Property Improvements
- 2005-06-18 - Oasis in Pictures
- 2005-06-01 - Private Property Sales
- 2006-03-22 - Day Light Robbery! - Caught in the Act
- 2008-07-11 - Burglars Back on the Block
- 2008-10-21 - THE COURT SAYS ‘NO’ TO THE UZUMLU CEMENT FACTORY!
- 2010-08-18 - Private Property Adverts - Disclaimer
- 2011-06-02 - Fethiye Property Market Overview 2011
- 2011-07-21 - EU Accession Hurdle No Longer a Problem for Turkey Property
- 2011-07-27 - Buying property in Turkey: the pros and cons
Fethiye, news, views, holidays, hotels, beach, blue cruise, expat, property, villa, retirement, apartment, Oludeniz, Ovacik, Hisaronu, Dalaman airport, charter flights, cheap flights