In this weeks round up of the local news from Fethiye, Oludeniz, Hisaronu, Kayakoy and area includes Ramazan Iftar tents welcome guests, truck ploughs into shop, cash crop seized and more.

Fast Tents Welcome

Central, Fethiye

Fethiye Council erected 3 large tents in various locations around the town for the holy month of Ramazan.

The tents have been used for the preparation and consumption of food and drink for the daily end of fast meal known as the ‘Iftar’ meal.

On Friday night over 1,000 disabled persons and their families came to one of the tents to celebrate the end of the fast.

The report said the evening was ‘full of emotion’.

Ramazan ends on the 7th August.

Truck Shop Stop

Çalıca, Karachula, Fethiye

The driver of a truck carrying 9 tonnes of sand parked it up in the village of Çalıca on Thursday and left the vehicle.

However, 15 minutes later the truck was recorded on CCTV as it sped down the road driverless and came to a spectacular halt inside a roadside shop.

Luckily no one was injured in the incident but the shop was severely damaged.

The press reported that the driver, a 35 year-old man, had forgotten to set the parking brake.

He was arrested by the police.

The truck was recovered and the owner of the shop is now making repairs.

Cash Crop Seized

Seydikemer Karabel District, Fethiye

Over 110 kg of cannabis was seized by local security forces last week.

The large crop was found growing in fields near Ceylan.

When the security forces arrived to investigate they found six men tending the crop who then proceeded to flee the scene.

They were soon arrested and taken to the local Jandarma office for questioning.


Mosque Almost Completed

Babatas, Fethiye

It’s been under construction for years but now it looks like the new mosque in the Babatas area of Fethiye could be completed soon.

The Mufti told the local press he hoped the new mosque would be open by the festival of the sacrifice in October.

Forest Fire Extinguished

Karacaören Village, Gocek

A wild fire tore through a pine forest above the town of Gocek on Friday.

Firefighting teams, a helicopter and place all took part in a 2 and a half hour operation to extinguish the blaze.

The fire, that destroyed over a hectare of forest, is thought to have been caused by human error.