Bars and clubs warned about noise and hassle, mounted police to patrol tourist areas, two premises fail food inspections, Fethiye underwater water wedding and more in this weeks round up of the local news from Fethiye, Oludeniz, Hisaronu and area.

Bars and Clubs Warned

Owners of bars, restaurants and clubs in Ölüdeniz, Hisarönü and Ovacık were summoned to a meeting at the Ölüdeniz Belediye offices this week.

The Mayor, accompanied by his Head of Security (Zabita), told them they will be fined between 19 and 60 thousand lira for any breach of the local noise/hassling codes.

The fine scale is new for this season and, according to the Mayor, has been put in place to try and lessen the number of complaints made by tourists and residents, about noise pollution and hassling.

A spokesman for the venue owners told press

“I believe 90% of the proprietors are committed to observing the regulations, unfortunately the other 10% let all of us down.”

We’ll certainly let you know if any fines are imposed.

Two Premises Fail Food Inspections

Following last week’s checks on day boats, this week the Zabita have been out and about checking butchers and sellers of meat.

They visited 21 premises to check that all necessary licences were in place, staff had proper training, and everything was being carried out in accordance with food hygiene regulations.

Of the 21 places visited only two failed to meet the legal standards. Unfortunately they don’t name them!

Mounted Police to Patrol Tourist Resorts

This week mounted police started work in Marmaris and Bodrum, and apparently there will soon be some in Fethiye.

This is the brainchild of the provincial Director of Security based in Muğla, and himself a keen horse rider.

He believes mounted police are more visible and thus a greater deterrent to would-be criminals.

As there is a special need to ensure tourists are not victims of crime, putting mounted police in the main tourist areas should work.

So keep your eyes peeled for mounted police on the Kordon.

Authorities Publish Property Guide

Our provincial leaders in Muğla have had a busy week.

Whilst one was busy getting mounted police in position, a colleague was launching a new brochure aimed at alerting would-be property buyers to the necessary steps they should take, to ensure their purchase is legal.

They have printed ten thousand of these brochures aimed, they tell us, at both Turks and foreigners looking to buy property in the region.

However, they didn’t say what, if any, language(s) as well as Turkish have been used in the brochure.

If any reader comes across one of these brochures, please e-mail and let us know if it is in English.

And Finally……..SUBA Do Wedding

And a couple who are both keen scuba divers were married underwater, 30 feet down in Aquarium Bay near Fethiye.

Actually they weren’t legally married (that is due to happen in their home city Ankara on 7 July) but the Chair of the local Divers’ Association performed a symbolic ceremony and, the bride wore white and carried a bouquet, whilst the groom had a suit on.

But somehow the breathing tubes and masks spoiled the look!

Still good publicity for the local diving industry, and they can show the video during the ‘normal’ wedding next month.

LEAVE A REPLY