We continue our weekly round up of the local news from Fethiye, Muğla and surrounding area.

Green Recruits

TEMA, the environmental organisation, held a press conference this week to introduce its latest volunteers – a couple from Japan.

To be precise they are a Japanese retired Professor of Meteorology and his British wife.

They came to live in Fethiye five months ago and, when they spotted the TEMA office, went in and soon found themselves members of the burgeoning organisation, and working on a clean up project as volunteers.

Chair of the local Fethiye branch of TEMA told the press:

“We have almost 600,000 members in Turkey and supporters in most European countries, but these are the first people to join from Japan.

Public Address

If you wondered why the Belediye’s public address system was playing Turkish music on Wednesday, it was in memory of Cem Karaca, once a giant of the Turkish music world.

Wednesday was the eighth anniversary of Karaca’s death and, in memory, the Council decided to play his songs throughout the town.

We doubt they will do the same in memory of Witney Houston this week, but you never know.

Paragliding Season Open!

Meanwhile, whilst most of Turkey was shivering in the cold and snow, the paragliding companies in Ölüdeniz where open for business this week, taking advantage of warm, sunny days and clear skies.

Apparently they were also pleased with the volume of customers, and those on the ground enjoyed watching the colourful parachutes drifting down from the top of Babadağ.

Paragliding Death Court Case – Pilot Discloses New Information

The case of the paragliding pilot accused of the death of 27-year-old Caner Güler, a holidaymaker from Bursa who fell to his death whilst tandem paragliding last September, was in court again this week.

The hearing considered a report from experts at the Turkish Air Force training school which pointed out that, from photographs taken of the deceased prior to the launch from the mountain, and other photographs taken of his body, the harness he was wearing had changed.

When questioned on this the pilot agreed he had changed his passenger’s harness after the first photograph was taken, as Güler had complained that the harness wasn’t comfortable.

When asked why this had never been mentioned previously, the pilot claimed it was perfectly normal procedure and he hadn’t thought it was relevant.

The case was adjourned until 1st March.