According to locally based vets the number of domestic dogs killed by poisoned bait is on the increase in some areas. So what can dog owners do to protect their animals?

Dog owners who like to take their pets for regular walks through the countryside should be aware of the dangers of poisoned bait laid indiscriminately.

Vets in villages just outside Fethiye such as Ovacik, Kemer and Saklikent have stated that the numbers of domestic pet dogs brought to them with symptoms of poisoning has increased dramatically in the last year.

In the last few weeks four dogs who take regular walks in Kemer with their owners ate poisoned bait laid along a well used path.

Fortunately, the local vet was at hand quickly to give them treatment including injections and put all four dogs on drips for over three hours.

One particular dog owner from Kemer has said that his dog has eaten poisoned meat four times this year and it has only survived because of quick intervention by their vet.

Time is the essence if your animal has eaten poison has a long lasting effect on dogs physical movement and effects the brain very quickly so you should seek veterinary treatment within ten to fifteen minutes but no more than an hour.

If you can’t get to the vet quickly then try to induce vomiting and give your dog activated charcoal to soak up the toxins within fifteen minutes.


The targets of this bait could be wild pigs, vermin or wild dogs but, as one reader has stated, it could also be laid to poison pet dogs too.

Poison is available from many shops and there are no restrictions on who can buy it.

Poison can also be extracted from Oleander plants to to give the same effects as strychnine.

But there is also a long list of plants and other household items that can poison dogs.

Tracing the people who lay bait is almost impossible too. Even if someone is caught red handed they could claim they are laying it for wild pigs or other vermin.

So it falls to dog owners to take precautions and limit the risks to their animals.

So what can you do to protect your dog?

Keeping your dog on a short lead means you can keep an eye on what they are likely to eat. It isn’t fool proof though and the dog can still lick or eat something you don’t see but the dog does.

But you could also try fitting a muzzle to your dog if you want to let it off the lead. A plastic type muzzle that restricts licking would probably be best. There is a risk that your dog may be unable to defend it’s self if attacked by other dogs but every solution is a compromise.

So keep an eye on your dog when out and about and protect them from the indiscriminate or unwitting poisioners.