A new British Honorary Consulate has opened its doors for the first time in Fethiye last Wednesday. The office as been created in response to the growing numbers of British tourists who visit and the growing number of people who are choosing to settle in the area.
Until now the nearest office was based in Marmaris some 2-3 hours road trip from Fethiye.
The new offices are located in the busy Paspatur area near to the main banks so will be handy for most vistors.
The office will be able to deal with the following:
- Issue emergency passports.
- Contact relatives and friends and ask them to help you with money or tickets.
- Tell you how to transfer money.
- In an emergency, cash you a sterling cheque worth up to £100 if supported by a valid banker’s card.
- As a last resort, in exceptional circumstances, and as long as you meet certain strict rules, give you a loan to get you back to the UK, but only if there is no-one else who can help you.
- Help you get in touch with local lawyers, interpreters and doctors.
- Arrange for next of kin to be told of an accident or a death and advise on procedures.
- Visit you if you have been arrested or put in prison, and arrange for messages to be sent to relatives and friends.
- Put you in touch with organisations who help trace missing persons.
- Speak to the local authorities on your behalf.